Amnesty International on Friday stated that the coordinated attacks by Boko Haram that killed at least 17 people and injured 34 more on Wednesday night were “vicious, demonstrate a contemptible disregard for human life and the bloodiest so far this year.”
Osai Ojigho, Director of Amnesty International Nigeria, in a statement made available to Jouenalist, said Boko Haram must end its campaign of unlawful killings of civilians.
“The Nigerian authorities must do more to protect civilians and bring the actual perpetrators of all such attacks to justice, rather than sweeping up hundreds of suspects and holding them indefinitely in horrific, life-threatening conditions.”
AI recalled that the attacks started at around 6.30pm when Boko Haram fighters opened fire randomly in Jiddari Polo community in Maiduguri, one of the northern region’s biggest towns.
Amnesty International said an eyewitness told the body that he heard four explosions, one very close-by.
It quoted the eyewitness as saying, “Two of my children, 13-year old twins, were injured by shrapnel. Some of the injuries were minor while some were serious like one whose nose was split.
The man said that he and his neighbours gave first aid to people who had been injured by the blast and accompanied them to hospital. “In total, we brought 17 injured people to the hospital, mostly teenagers. Two died.”
Feel Free To Comments Here...